After discussing with the Director of Project Holodeck, Nathan Burba (@NathanBurba), his goal of completing one new programming tutorial a day, I decided to create a similar learning goal. With the Technology Challenge.
I believe this is a good challenge for me because I have only finished my MBA Degree for under a month and I am already getting antsy about what to do with my free time. Don’t get me wrong, I am gainfully and happily employed. But I love learning! And I feel a piece of me missing when I don’t have a new challenge or project. With that said, by posting this Technology Challenge on my blog, I am making myself accountable for pursuing the stated goals—I don’t want to let you down!
I also realized that my resume may be good, but my portfolio could better showcase my Instructional Design skills and adeptness of exploring new Educational Technologies. Enter the Technology Challenge!
What? The Technology Challenge–
1) Research a new (or not so new) technology tool
2) Learn that new technology tool
3) Create an instructional deliverable with that new technology, applying adult learning theory, ADDIE, and Instructional Design Principles
3) Build a Portfolio
4) Demonstrate my EdTech and Instructional Design Skills
2) Create a deliverable
3) Blog a post on each piece that summarizes the tool, demonstrate an application of the tool, and results in a portfolio piece
The tools (in no particular order, and will be added to)?
2) Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
4) WordPress / Blog / Edublogs
5) PollEverywhere or TurningPoint
16) Big Blue Button
21) Learning Management Systems (Sakai, Moodle, TWEN, BlackBoard)
24) Web Conferencing Systems (Wimba, BlackBoard Collaborate, ATT Connect, Panopto)
Feel free to leave suggestions for tools I should challenge here as a comment or Tweet @julietausend!